Skip to main content

Still trying to be hopeful

Are we sick of T & A post-op reports?  Yes. I am. I’m ready to not have anything further to say about this.  I’m still amazed, with her crazy-high pain tolerance, that this is causing her so much trouble.  She wasn’t even on pain meds this long after heart surgery.

Braska did have a better night, in that she slept several hours in a row.  Of course, Kinlee picked last night to get up twice for no apparent reason… bad dreams, I’m guessing.  So I still had a choppy night, but I did get some rest, in pieces.

This morning, I thought we had turned the page on the whining and whimpering and miserable fidgeting.  She had a good couple of hours, not all that perky, but not too down.  Then, just before noon, she crumbled again.  The screaming is enough to make my ears ring for quite some time.  It was short-lived but intense.  She calmed down a little and took a short nap, but then woke fussing again.  She was very upset and clearly could not get comfortable after her nap.

It’s a constant movement thing that’s so weird with her.  She is usually one to sit still, even if she’s upset, she doesn’t wriggle.  But this last week has shown a very strange fidgeting that just drives me nuts.  She doesn’t just lie sadly on my lap. She has to climb up on my shoulder, then down to cuddle on the left side (shoving one arm behind me) then she wriggles up and flips over, only to climb back up to the shoulder again and start over.  This all happens in less than about 40 seconds.  Over and over.  It’s unnerving.  I usually have to just pin her against me at some point and distract with something to get her to take a deep breath and relax a bit.

I called the ENT office today and the nurse said to go ahead and give her ibuprofen, even though we’re not to the 2-week mark.  She said some kids just don’t respond well to the Tylenol.  Wow.  Thanks for telling me that NOW! So we will do the alternating Tylenol and ibuprofen and hope that helps.  We’ll watch for bleeding, of course, but she’s had no problems so far with that part.  I gave her a dose as soon as I hung up with the nurse.

It comes in waves, and right now she’s calm.  Learning about sound waves on Sid the Science Kid.  We’re going to have to reestablish our TV boundaries after this is over, but for now, if it keeps her distracted and not screaming, we’ll let her enjoy some learning entertainment.    Plus, just ask her how she hears…she’ll tell you “EARS!” Quality.


  1. hope you all find yourself to be well around that corner to good health! lets pray the ibuprofen provide the relief she needs!!

  2. I can totally relate. It took Addy two full weeks before she even started to remotely act like herself. Her major bowel surgeries were a breeze compared to TA. It will get better, it just stinks right now! I'm so sorry!

  3. My niece had the same surgery a year ago and it was well over a week until she was even beginning to be herself. She too would melt down around noon, sheer exhaustion and pain again. Hope the ibuprofen takes her pain away and she can get some much needed good sleep.


Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!! I only ask that we all keep it positive, respectful, and clean. Comment moderation is on for now. (As this is my blog, I reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason.) If you use the anonymous option, be sure to sign your name. Thanks!!

Make it a great day!!

Popular posts from this blog

Oh happy day, Less question mark!

As a follow up to yesterday's post, I got word today that we will NOT be assigned to the new guy, but we will have an experienced coordinator after all. I feel SO much better. I also learned some other info today that made me think I still have some kinks to work out, so I'll be taking care of that this next week. I'll be SO glad when this transition/IEP stuff is behind us. I want to do the very best I can, but there's part of me who wants to just hide and let it all happen without me.

Streamlining the Blogs

I know it's been forever, and yes, Facebook is much to blame.  For as long as I held out and didn't join, now I see it's simplicity (and it's ability to suck up all my online time!!). BUT--After much pondering, I've decided I'm not giving up on blogging! Sometimes a narrative or story will be better served in a blog format, so I'm combining blogs into one.   Intentional Family  is our new all-in-one blog for the goings on of our family, Braska's progress, celebrations, and challenges, as well as the amazing rise of little sister Kinlee. Other places you could check out if you so choose would be our new business  Larae Photography LLC on Facebook  or on the web at , or the page for my hobbies-gone-busy  Just RK Designs . So if there ARE any blog readers still out there, please come on over to the new place and join up for the ride.  All the old posts from the 3 previous blogs will be there soon so you can catch up if you need to

To add to the fun—a tongue spot

Wow… that was the most negative post I’ve done in a while. sorry about that, but it’s where I am sometimes lately. So very frustrated. It comes and goes. I usually try to hide it because it’s not pretty, but I’m too worn out to sugar-coat today. Because we didn’t have enough fun things to wonder about, I found this on Braska’s tongue this morning.  It’s a fairly large white spot.  It won’t scrape off with a Nuk brush, doesn’t move.  A close-up for your viewing pleasure. Ideas?  I’ve already been Googling and perusing my medical resources (my years in medical practices comes in so handy sometimes) but I don’t find much that matches this. It’s not a tonsillolith—the white spots sometimes seen in and around the throat and tonsils.  It’s much larger than a taste bud or two that’s swollen.  So I’m not sure.  Related to the upper respiratory issues?  Who knows…