Skip to main content

A little older. A lot more fun.

It’s been about a year or so since Kinlee was last in an indoor fast-food type playplace. The enclosed kind.  Where I can’t really get to her when she refuses to come down.

Which is what happened and why I banned the practice.  I bribed a 9-year-old to go up and shove her down the slide last time (fries!) and I told Kinlee there would be no more for a good long time, at least til she was 3.  And I do not waffle on such promises.  Granted, we don’t ever come to these places unless it’s on purpose for play, so it was easy to fully avoid.

Recently, she was asking if she could try again. She remembers well what happened way back when she was 2.  She can recount the whole story clearly if you ask.  She will conclude by saying she “made a wrong choice and didn’t obey, so I don’t get to have fun there anymore.”  We talked about how, since she was 3 now and was learning to obey better and make right choices, maybe we could see if she was ready to try again.  She didn’t beg, and she didn’t whine about it (hooray!), so we tabled it and I said I’d think about it.  She was good with that.

So for about 4 days, we’ve been discussing that Tuesday morning after we dropped Braska at ESY (Because SHE does not get to play in these things.  That kid will NEVER come down.) we would have a special Mommy/Kinlee morning to go try and see if she can be a big girl when it’s time to leave a play place.

She’s been rehearsing the rules about coming when I call her, being a good friend to the other kids, and leaving when it’s time without a bit of a fuss.  She says she’s ready.  So she’s playing with the 3 other kids here, having a ball.  Running around like crazy, then coming to tell me who did what, thanking me for letting her come to play, then going up again.  (When we first arrived, no one else was here.  She wouldn’t go up because it was too scary, but when the other kids came in, she said she would go with them and not be afraid.)

I’ll give her a while to play, while I try to catch up on posts for B’s blog.  Then we’ll test out the new exit response.  I’m hopeful, but not blindly optimistic.  She knows if she throws the slightest fit, we’ll be absent from this kind of place til she’s 4. (As if you didn’t already know I was a meanie mom, right?!?)

For now, it’s all smiles and fun.  Even though she’s only barely tall enough to make it up there to start with… I hope this is the first of many enjoyable playtimes in the next chapter of her little big girl life.
kikiMcDplayplace1

Comments

  1. Sad to lose the babies but sooo glad when they start to listen. There were huge swathes of time we didn't go to the park because I'd have to carry The Boy out mid-massive-meltdown.

    Bonus: playing AND airconditioning!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!! I only ask that we all keep it positive, respectful, and clean. Comment moderation is on for now. (As this is my blog, I reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason.) If you use the anonymous option, be sure to sign your name. Thanks!!

Make it a great day!!

Popular posts from this blog

31 for 21: What to say

I have encountered plenty of people who ask "How old is she?" when Braska and I are out together here and there. They always guess her age about 5 months younger than she is, but that's ok, since that's what size she is. I have said several times that I can imagine it will bother me a bit more, although still not a huge deal, when she turns one next month and I see their reaction to that, as she still is in her car seat/carrier when we're in a restaurant or in a store since she doesn't sit up. Today, I met some friends for brunch. The waitress was a nice enough, very young girl, and she started cooing at Braska right away. That's nice. I don't mind, Braska likes the attention, and I'm proud of my cutie. The waitress asked her age, and I told her 11 months. She then said, "But she's not walking yet?" as she noticed that she was up to the table in her car seat/carrier. I just agreed and said, "Not yet." She said she h

Oh happy day, Less question mark!

As a follow up to yesterday's post, I got word today that we will NOT be assigned to the new guy, but we will have an experienced coordinator after all. I feel SO much better. I also learned some other info today that made me think I still have some kinks to work out, so I'll be taking care of that this next week. I'll be SO glad when this transition/IEP stuff is behind us. I want to do the very best I can, but there's part of me who wants to just hide and let it all happen without me.

Was there a line??

I assume that you went to vote, either today or earlier if possible. I expect that of you, know that straight up. How long did you wait in line?? And throw in the state you voted in, just for fun. I'm really curious if all areas have a big wait or if it's just the more congested ones. I voted Friday absentee/in person, and we waited about 15 mins or so. It moved VERY fast for a big line. There's just one place in our very populated county to do the absentee/in person voting, and it wasn't bad at all for what I thought it might be. If you haven't, GO VOTE people... again, please just know what you're voting for, either way. You may just have to live with your choice. God Bless America!!