Skip to main content

Look at the eyes

Sometimes we look at people and don’t really look. We glance. We might offer a half smile in an attempt to look polite as we pass.   I’m especially good at that, but I have to often remind myself to look people in the eye. It’s hard. It’s intimidating, and it can make us feel vulnerable, in a sense.  What if they look away?  Ah, insecurity is a bitter companion.

The same is true when we see stories or pictures of children who have less-then-ideal situations in their lives. I admit, it’s not my favorite thing to watch the news or hear of stories about children suffering. I tend to avoid it.  But yet I’m instructed to pray for “the least of these,” so I need to be aware of them in order to do that more effectively.

I don’t know anyone who looks forward to reading the next “bleeding heart” plea for needy children, no matter what their “need” is.  But can I ask you to take a few minutes to read about three little cuties? Just read. That doesn’t take much effort does it?

Lately there have been a few little ones who have been on the hearts of some blogging friends.  And they are doing something about it.  Advocating, spreading the word, pleading for prayers on the behalf of these children.  And there is always the request for money. Is it about the money, really?  As far as it is necessary to rescue these precious ones from a future that would make us all turn away in discomfort, yes. It’s about the money. It’s a tangible way we can help.  But it is also about sharing the story of these children so that a family who might be waiting for just this suggestion, just this prompting to take the next step, may see a face and feel the surety that NOW is the time to act.

Stephanie has been praying and pleading on behalf of Masha for a while. And the time is now very short.  She is in the same orphanage that our sweet little friend Dashlyn was in.  And I have heard from those who have been there that it’s not a pleasant place overall. It has become clear via info from a family who is there right now that she will be transferred to an institution probably next week.  A place where she might get one meal a day. And the conditions there… it would make you wince.

She has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS). Does that make her less valuable?

It makes me sick. I have to say.  I’m not an overly emotional person, but this really breaks my heart. It’s not right.

imageimage
Look at those eyes. You see they’re crossed?  Of course. Just like my daughter’s eyes.  When Braska doesn’t have her glasses on, her eyes cross strongly.  But Braska gets to have glasses. And she gets to have parents who see to keeping them on her and that they fit. You see the short hair? That’s just another sign of the lack of care she gets.  It’s easier to take care of that way. She doesn’t get one-on-one attention. Time to play in a bath. She doesn’t know what it’s like to laugh with her mommy while splashing, or singing the “now it’s time to comb my hair” song, like my girls do. 

Could you be Masha’s forever family? She has over $17,000 in grant money, almost a full grant!  But she still needs a family to step forward and rescue her.

--------------
This is Olga.  Cute little bean, isn’t she?  Again with the short hair. Oh how I wish I could see her playing, long hair bouncing, big pink bows, smiles for all who get the pleasure of getting to know her. She’s also on borrowed time.  She’s had a family plan to get her, but they’ve not been able to go through with the adoption. So now she is at risk for a transfer to the institution very soon.

image
Look at those eyes. The little slant. The sweet little flat spot between them, which I know from experience provides a super nice place to smooch.  I can just see the smile that came to light right after this picture was taken. That’s always the way it works.

She has Down syndrome. Does that make her less valuable?

Olga would be welcome in my home. More than welcome. But we don’t have that option. Could you be Olga’s forever family?  She has over $13,000 in grant money as well, thanks in large part to the work Patti’s been doing to spread the word about her. But who will bring her home?

UPDATED:  Olga has a family!!!! Praise God!  Please pray that they can get to her BEFORE she gets transferred to the institution!

-------------
And Peter….ah, little peter.   He’s been listed on Reece’s Rainbow all his life, and there’s never been an inquiry for him. How can that be?  Patti is advocating for him, and she’s made it her goal to raise money so that Peter has a full grant.  When she started, earlier this week he had about $200, I believe, and as of right now, it’s over $6500 and growing!!!

Photobucket
Look at those eyes. His eyes get right to my core. He’s never known a cuddle from a parent. He rarely gets a cuddle at all. Most of his life, almost 3 years, has been spent in a crib.  So I’m asking you to consider little Peter.  Think about him. Pray for him. Pray for the family who will go and get this little man. 

Patti is offering the most amazing giveaway to raise funds for Peter.  Lovely people have donated ALL kinds of things…from an iPad (!!!), to a beautiful Nikon D90 (Pardon me while I drool!), to adorable kids accessories, clothes, jewelry, and so much more. Please go over there and take a look at all the cool stuff.  Make a donation and enter to win something wonderful.  But most of all, be a part of the miracle that will be the day that Peter meets his mommy for the first time.  I can’t wait to hear all about it.

If you are interested in learning more about adoption, international or domestic, I have lots of friends who have done it and are in the process right now.  Please let me know and I’d be happy to hook you up with people who can answer any of your questions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

31 for 21: What to say

I have encountered plenty of people who ask "How old is she?" when Braska and I are out together here and there. They always guess her age about 5 months younger than she is, but that's ok, since that's what size she is. I have said several times that I can imagine it will bother me a bit more, although still not a huge deal, when she turns one next month and I see their reaction to that, as she still is in her car seat/carrier when we're in a restaurant or in a store since she doesn't sit up. Today, I met some friends for brunch. The waitress was a nice enough, very young girl, and she started cooing at Braska right away. That's nice. I don't mind, Braska likes the attention, and I'm proud of my cutie. The waitress asked her age, and I told her 11 months. She then said, "But she's not walking yet?" as she noticed that she was up to the table in her car seat/carrier. I just agreed and said, "Not yet." She said she h

Oh happy day, Less question mark!

As a follow up to yesterday's post, I got word today that we will NOT be assigned to the new guy, but we will have an experienced coordinator after all. I feel SO much better. I also learned some other info today that made me think I still have some kinks to work out, so I'll be taking care of that this next week. I'll be SO glad when this transition/IEP stuff is behind us. I want to do the very best I can, but there's part of me who wants to just hide and let it all happen without me.

Was there a line??

I assume that you went to vote, either today or earlier if possible. I expect that of you, know that straight up. How long did you wait in line?? And throw in the state you voted in, just for fun. I'm really curious if all areas have a big wait or if it's just the more congested ones. I voted Friday absentee/in person, and we waited about 15 mins or so. It moved VERY fast for a big line. There's just one place in our very populated county to do the absentee/in person voting, and it wasn't bad at all for what I thought it might be. If you haven't, GO VOTE people... again, please just know what you're voting for, either way. You may just have to live with your choice. God Bless America!!