Skip to main content

It's a...

Baby, just one, and it wiggles. That's what we learned today from the MFM specialist, Dr. H. The due date is still iffy, in my opinion, but it'll be the first half of Feb sometime.

I was given all the ins and outs of the screenings and tests available. I explained that I'm not worried about things unless it's something that requires a change in care or delivery plan. We'll do the basic stuff and have plenty of ultrasounds.

The doctor asked what resources I found to be helpful when we got Braska's diagnosis. So I had an opportunity to talk about everything from our local group in Champaign to the blogs and forums that really made the difference for me. I let him know that I always want to be available to any practices that I'm involved in with work or as a patient if they have a situation where I can be of help. This is the office that delivers prenatal diagnoses to women, so I love that he is open to learning how to do it in a more helpful way. I told him of Braska's blog and he asked if he could write it down to share. I had blog cards with me, so I gave him a couple and said I'd be happy to talk to anyone if they ever thought it would be helpful. But often, it's much less intimidating for someone with new fears and questions to be able to simply look through a blog or forum than it is to talk to someone. So I'm so glad that we might be able to help someone get a more realistic view of Down syndrome and put a cute little smiling face with the big bad diagnosis.

Comments

  1. Yay on the one wiggling baby!

    This is great. I love that your blog may help even more New Mommies. This is the main reason I even have a blog. Well that and I will have a virtual scrapbook for the kiddos when they get older. I wish I was part of the bloggy world when T was a newbie it sure would have helped me through that first year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for wiggling babies! Great!

    And that is awesome that you are a resource for other new parents. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for wiggling baby! Nicely done. ---Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for wiggling babies!

    That's great that you handed out your cards. I was happy when my doc asked if I would be willing to talk to someone if they got a DS diagnosis. You and Braska will be wonderful teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's not two? I was so hoping for a crop of babies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want to let you know that I have learned a lot from your sites. Haveing this here makes me a little less worried if it were to happen to me. I got a long with Muncher when he worked with me and was very excited to hear that he (and you) were going to be parents. I am very excited for you to be as open as you are with this and I also learned stuff about insurance. Thanks

    Jessi (busey in Champaign)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yippee for the baby! Horray for helping to educate more people on DS. I can honestly say that I would have been so scared and clueless before you had Braska and now I am confident that we would be overjoyed to have a little one with DS some day. Seeing what a blessing Braska is to you is such an amazing testimony to those around you. You have truly given me a new perspective. Thanks:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ditto everyone elses comments - kudos to that dr too for looking into ways to keep his/her patients informed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite simply there couldn't be a more cute face to see on your blog. I love Braska's smiling face every time I visit your blog Randa. You guys ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yippee for the little wiggle worm!
    That is wonderful how you can send such a positive message to doctors and their patients! I've thought about making cards myself for my OBGYN. I've told Mattie's doctor to please give my information to future patients that may want to talk or check out my blog. Cards to pass out would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so great of your doctor's office. Not all doctors are so willing to find out what is helpful for parents.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!! I only ask that we all keep it positive, respectful, and clean. Comment moderation is on for now. (As this is my blog, I reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason.) If you use the anonymous option, be sure to sign your name. Thanks!!

Make it a great day!!

Popular posts from this blog

BabyLegs Giveaway

That's right! A BabyLegs Giveaway!! BUT...this giveway has an extra dose of generosity required for the participants. Can you handle it? BabyLegs has been so great to us, and they have surprised me once again! It all started back when the superb Tricia and Little Miss G sent Braska a pair many moons ago. We'd seen them on a few of our little blog friends, and I thought they were adorable. And the idea of keeping Braska warm while being able to access her g-tube without having to undress her was very appealing. So when we received our surprise pair from our friends out East, we were just plain giddy! I quickly ordered several more pairs to go with her wardrobe. It didn't take anytime at all for BabyLegs to become my standard gift at baby showers, and I especially loved sending them to moms that I found who had fresh little new babies with DS. They're perfect for everyday with a long-sleeved onesie, they are great under a little dress, and they are so helpful with thera...

Peek at tomorrow

This weekend we were at my in-laws' place for a very quick visit. We went largely for a housewarming for Cheryl and Ethon, which was Sunday afternoon. They have a pretty darn cool place, so yay for you guys! Sunday morning pictures are normal, we do them alot. This week, before we left for church, Carole took a few pics of my little poonchin. They didn't all turn out great, as she kept making funny faces and moving at the last second. I stole them off her camera for my collection, and when I looked at this one I just kind of stopped. It's not any super great picture. It's cute, but hey, how could it not be? She's waving at herself, that's the reason the hand is up. But that's not what I saw. Go ahead, click on the picture. Can you see it? I don't see Down syndrome. I don't see a feeding tube. I don't even see a tough cookie, open-heart surgery survivor. It's not my favorite picture of her ever, but I can't hardly stop looking at it. This...