Skip to main content

Distracted by Joplin

If you have NOT heard news of Joplin’s devastation, I’m not sure how you’ve avoided it. It’s been news everywhere, I hear, but of course being here in the state has made it constantly covered and updated in our area.

When news came that they’d had a direct tornado hit on Sunday, I made a few contacts to people we know there or who have loved ones there. Though I’ve never lived in Joplin, we have quite a few connections, and several years ago I spent a good deal of time there.

My sister-in-law is from there, her family still living in the area. My sister went to college there for one year. My father’s employer is headquartered there. My uncle and cousins went to college there. I had friends in college who were from the area.

Yesterday, my parents and my youngest sister went to Joplin to serve. Help. Do something. My sister took some video as they drove through. Even after seeing all the photos and video through media sources, seeing it at eye level, block after block is overwhelming. I can’t imagine experiencing it first hand.

This week, I’ve been following a couple of stories… many of you may have been aware of these as well. They gained quite a bit of exposure via Facebook especially.

Will Norton was driving home from his own graduation from high school when he was literally taken from his father’s arms and swept through the sunroof of his vehicle and away into the chaos of the tornado.

image
(Photo courtesy of the Norton family.)

They had hoped to find him alive, but just last night news came that he’d been found, and unfortunately that he was not alive.

Skyular Logsdon was a 16-month-old who was with his mother when the tornado struck.

image
(Photo courtesy of Skyular’s family.)

He was also taken from his mother’s arms by the twister and was missing for days. I kept checking on the status of the search, but Wednesday he was identified in a morgue. His mother is only 18 and still in the hospital for her injuries. Heartbreaking.

Then, the story of a woman who heard of her father’s passing in the tornado and died of a heart attack from the stress of the news.

It’s overwhelming, and I’m a few hours away. I’ve not seen it with my own eyes in person, and I’m really bothered by all the destruction and the hundreds of sad stories. I’ve been praying for the families, the missing, for the strength of those who are working. I’ve been amazed by the outpouring of generosity in both time and gifts for the city’s residents from people near and far.

Then I got an email from my sister yesterday… with this story. Please take the time to read it. It is written by an ER physician who was in St. John’s when it was hit. (These are some stunning pictures of the inside of the hospital.) The way he shares what he saw is amazing. What a powerful essay about his experience.

Cars after the tornado


Main Entrance
(Photos from St. John’s/Mercy Health’s Flickr)

So I get up each morning, go throughout my day, complain about the little annoyances of my life in the moment, and then stop to realize that I better zip my lip. Stop my griping. Get over myself and the whining.

For I have life. I have a home. I have my children. I have my husband. My house is messy, but it’s all here. I can account for where everyone that I care about is at any given time. And I am grateful. I must continue to be grateful. Consciously grateful.

Please continue to remember the people of Joplin, those who are still missing, and those who have been left to pick up the millions of pieces.

Comments

  1. This is a great piece Randa-Kay. Brings tears to my eyes. And of course a remembrance of all things we have, when we know where our loved ones are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!! I only ask that we all keep it positive, respectful, and clean. Comment moderation is on for now. (As this is my blog, I reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason.) If you use the anonymous option, be sure to sign your name. Thanks!!

Make it a great day!!

Popular posts from this blog

31 for 21: What to say

I have encountered plenty of people who ask "How old is she?" when Braska and I are out together here and there. They always guess her age about 5 months younger than she is, but that's ok, since that's what size she is. I have said several times that I can imagine it will bother me a bit more, although still not a huge deal, when she turns one next month and I see their reaction to that, as she still is in her car seat/carrier when we're in a restaurant or in a store since she doesn't sit up. Today, I met some friends for brunch. The waitress was a nice enough, very young girl, and she started cooing at Braska right away. That's nice. I don't mind, Braska likes the attention, and I'm proud of my cutie. The waitress asked her age, and I told her 11 months. She then said, "But she's not walking yet?" as she noticed that she was up to the table in her car seat/carrier. I just agreed and said, "Not yet." She said she h

Oh happy day, Less question mark!

As a follow up to yesterday's post, I got word today that we will NOT be assigned to the new guy, but we will have an experienced coordinator after all. I feel SO much better. I also learned some other info today that made me think I still have some kinks to work out, so I'll be taking care of that this next week. I'll be SO glad when this transition/IEP stuff is behind us. I want to do the very best I can, but there's part of me who wants to just hide and let it all happen without me.

Was there a line??

I assume that you went to vote, either today or earlier if possible. I expect that of you, know that straight up. How long did you wait in line?? And throw in the state you voted in, just for fun. I'm really curious if all areas have a big wait or if it's just the more congested ones. I voted Friday absentee/in person, and we waited about 15 mins or so. It moved VERY fast for a big line. There's just one place in our very populated county to do the absentee/in person voting, and it wasn't bad at all for what I thought it might be. If you haven't, GO VOTE people... again, please just know what you're voting for, either way. You may just have to live with your choice. God Bless America!!