Skip to main content

31 for 21: Techie tips for the day

First off, check out the new contest that Christina is doing!!! Very cool book!!!

Here's some little things that have come up recently in conversations about blogs and internet in general, so I thought it might be helpful to share the info. Many of you will be in the "been there, done that" category, but maybe there will be something new. I really appreciate that many of you are not big "internet junkies" like some of us, so the fact that you check in with us regularly makes me feel very special!

~When you see a highlighted word of phrase, like this, it's called a "link" and means that you can click on that word or phrase and it will take you to another web page or another place in the current blog or page. This is very helpful in avoiding alot of retyping and copying what others have written. Don't be afraid of a link!

~In Blogger (blogs that have "blogspot" in the address), the pictures used in a post can be clicked on in order to see them a bit bigger and more clearly. So anytime you can't quite see something as big as you'd like, just click on the picture.

~For those of you that have a bunch of blogs, or even a few, that you check frequently, I highly recommend Google Reader. And especially as a part of iGoogle. Google Reader is a feed reader that you can set up to tell you when your favorite blogs, news sites, and other internet pages update, post new items, etc. This saves you from having to keep checking blogs to see if they've posted new things. iGoogle is great for a home page for your internet browser, and it can incorporate the weather for your area, a to-do list, jokes for the day, news info, and a host of other possibilities customized by you specifically. Both can be used with your Google/Blogger account, and they're super easy to set up. If you don't have a Google account, sign up for one! It's quick and gets you access to lots of neat places. Here's a screen shot of my home page, Google Reader is on the left side, and you can see that Michelle at Big Blueberry Eyes has put up a new post.

I'm not a paid endorser, but the functionality of these tools is great. If you have questions about getting it set up, send me an email. It's in my profile.


~If you click on the title of any given post in Blogger, and most other blogging formats, it will show you the post as well as the comments that have already been posted. Just another way to see the post.


~Bloggers love comments, and they don't have to be anything especially clever or witty. It's just a way for us to see who's checking us out and have some feedback of what others are thinking. I've learned a whole lot from the comments made here and on others' blogs...tons, really. So when you read a new post, take a minute and let the author know what you're thinking. In Blogger, just click on the link for comments at the bottom of the post, type in your comment, then click on "other" and put in whatever name you'd like to use in the "name" box. You don't need to put in an email or web address. If you have a Google account, then you have the option to use that as well. Then just click "Publish your comment." It's like an online hug! Send a comment!

Comments

  1. Thanks for the computer lesson. I learned something. Here's an online hug from your MOM ))O((

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my comments and google reader :) Good tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this info - it helps. I am new to the blog world. I've only had a few comments on mine - so I'm not even sure if people are reading, so I'm debating if I should do it or not! You'll have to check mine out if you haven't already. There are pics of Braska on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer--I have checked it out and just plain forget that you've got it going. I made it a favorite today, so I'll do better.

    For those of you that haven't checked out little Olivia in her farming glory, go to http://djshike.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's pretty cool. I actually go to each one to check if they've updated. I just might have to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I was pretty sharp, learned how to put my playlist in my blog, etc. BUT I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT GOOGLE READER though I'm a regular Gmail guy using maps, etc.

    Thanks!

    Pa Beagle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!! I only ask that we all keep it positive, respectful, and clean. Comment moderation is on for now. (As this is my blog, I reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason.) If you use the anonymous option, be sure to sign your name. Thanks!!

Make it a great day!!

Popular posts from this blog

Oh happy day, Less question mark!

As a follow up to yesterday's post, I got word today that we will NOT be assigned to the new guy, but we will have an experienced coordinator after all. I feel SO much better. I also learned some other info today that made me think I still have some kinks to work out, so I'll be taking care of that this next week. I'll be SO glad when this transition/IEP stuff is behind us. I want to do the very best I can, but there's part of me who wants to just hide and let it all happen without me.

31 for 21: What to say

I have encountered plenty of people who ask "How old is she?" when Braska and I are out together here and there. They always guess her age about 5 months younger than she is, but that's ok, since that's what size she is. I have said several times that I can imagine it will bother me a bit more, although still not a huge deal, when she turns one next month and I see their reaction to that, as she still is in her car seat/carrier when we're in a restaurant or in a store since she doesn't sit up. Today, I met some friends for brunch. The waitress was a nice enough, very young girl, and she started cooing at Braska right away. That's nice. I don't mind, Braska likes the attention, and I'm proud of my cutie. The waitress asked her age, and I told her 11 months. She then said, "But she's not walking yet?" as she noticed that she was up to the table in her car seat/carrier. I just agreed and said, "Not yet." She said she h

Was there a line??

I assume that you went to vote, either today or earlier if possible. I expect that of you, know that straight up. How long did you wait in line?? And throw in the state you voted in, just for fun. I'm really curious if all areas have a big wait or if it's just the more congested ones. I voted Friday absentee/in person, and we waited about 15 mins or so. It moved VERY fast for a big line. There's just one place in our very populated county to do the absentee/in person voting, and it wasn't bad at all for what I thought it might be. If you haven't, GO VOTE people... again, please just know what you're voting for, either way. You may just have to live with your choice. God Bless America!!