Skip to main content

Elmo loves cupcakes

My someday-she-will-be-a-sister-in-law Cheryl has found quite a fun new hobby/side job in cake decorating. She makes some pretty neat things, as shown on her cake blog. When it came time to do Braska’s birthday cake, I thought it would be fun for Braska and I to go to Cheryl’s place and do something fun with all her tools and tricks. (Check out Braska’s narrative of her part of the day.)

I decided on Elmo largely because he is still one of Braska’s favorites, and I figured it would be pretty easy. Cheryl found some neat pics online and we collaborated a bit to come up with our final design. We went with a cupcake cake plan, and I think it was the right choice.

First, it should be noted that I was supposed to bake the cupcakes and take them with me when I went down. I also picked up some items at Hobby Lobby to help the process be a bit easier…especially with the dark icing coloring. And I found come cute Elmo paper cupcake cups. But I found that I didn’t have proper cupcake tins. So I was going to borrow them from Cheryl. Thursday evening we were at Cheryl and Ethon’s for Thursday Night Football and I took the stuff for today so I wouldn’t forget. I’ve been VERY forgetful lately. She laid out the cupcake tins for me to take home. After I got home late that night, I realized something.

I forgot the tins at her house.

So last night I decided I’d just use my disposable-type muffin tins and do a few batches of baking to get the needed amount. But as I opened the cake mix box, I realized something.

I forgot the Elmo cupcake papers at her house, too.

Not sure why I took them in with the other items, but I did. And I left them there. And she lives 30 minutes away.

So she generously offered to do the cupcake baking portion of the task last night as well. She rocks.

Unfortunately, getting Elmo-red icing is tough. We knew this. I thought I was prepared. I was wrong. So I had to make a run out to Michael’s to get some prepared red icing to help our batch of homemade. I left Braska with Cheryl and ran just a short way to nearby shopping and Michael’s. As I pulled in to the space in front of the store, I realized something.

I forgot to grab my purse. I had no wallet or means with which to pay for my purchases.

I turned around and went back to Cheryl’s, ran in and got my purse, and returned to Michael’s to get what I needed.

This is getting ridiculous!

In the end, we made it through. We brainstormed a little of this and that, and the end result is great!

Here’s a few views in different lighting and such. My only contribution is the letter cupcakes, and I just did the white and the red lettering. I found out I am VERY rusty in my cake decorating skills. Cheryl did the little color sparkles, though they were just about my best idea of the day, I think. They made a huge difference, we agreed!
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Way to go, us! (But mostly Cheryl!!)
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Tomorrow’s the big day!!!

Comments

  1. It turned out so good! Wow you two did a great job.
    ---Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed with your post. Cheryl is very talented. Happy birthday to Braska.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute! hope your are enjoying eating them, probably at this very moment... and watching the Bears?? and I'm so glad to read that you can be just as forgetful as me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what I wouldn't give to be up to my elbows in frosting with you both! TOO MUCH FUN! And the cake turned out rockstariffic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful and creative too!! I had to laugh at your forgetfulness...it's so nice to hear other Moms forget things too...I'm TERRIBLE!! :)

    Happy Belated Birthday, Braska!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!! I only ask that we all keep it positive, respectful, and clean. Comment moderation is on for now. (As this is my blog, I reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason.) If you use the anonymous option, be sure to sign your name. Thanks!!

Make it a great day!!

Popular posts from this blog

BabyLegs Giveaway

That's right! A BabyLegs Giveaway!! BUT...this giveway has an extra dose of generosity required for the participants. Can you handle it? BabyLegs has been so great to us, and they have surprised me once again! It all started back when the superb Tricia and Little Miss G sent Braska a pair many moons ago. We'd seen them on a few of our little blog friends, and I thought they were adorable. And the idea of keeping Braska warm while being able to access her g-tube without having to undress her was very appealing. So when we received our surprise pair from our friends out East, we were just plain giddy! I quickly ordered several more pairs to go with her wardrobe. It didn't take anytime at all for BabyLegs to become my standard gift at baby showers, and I especially loved sending them to moms that I found who had fresh little new babies with DS. They're perfect for everyday with a long-sleeved onesie, they are great under a little dress, and they are so helpful with thera...

Peek at tomorrow

This weekend we were at my in-laws' place for a very quick visit. We went largely for a housewarming for Cheryl and Ethon, which was Sunday afternoon. They have a pretty darn cool place, so yay for you guys! Sunday morning pictures are normal, we do them alot. This week, before we left for church, Carole took a few pics of my little poonchin. They didn't all turn out great, as she kept making funny faces and moving at the last second. I stole them off her camera for my collection, and when I looked at this one I just kind of stopped. It's not any super great picture. It's cute, but hey, how could it not be? She's waving at herself, that's the reason the hand is up. But that's not what I saw. Go ahead, click on the picture. Can you see it? I don't see Down syndrome. I don't see a feeding tube. I don't even see a tough cookie, open-heart surgery survivor. It's not my favorite picture of her ever, but I can't hardly stop looking at it. This...