Skip to main content

31 for 21: The story: Finding out and telling family

I've thought alot about how to tell my story of the pregnancy, birth, and following. The truth of the matter is that most of the pregnancy involves things, not pregnancy related, that I don't want to remember or write about here; it was not a pleasant time, as I wish that it could have been. BUT, there are a few parts that I have pictures to help tell the story, and that makes it easier. So I'll do this in pieces, and I hope you'll simply allow me the gaps.

On March 31, 2006, I woke up early and took a pregnancy test. I had planned to do this the night before. I had been experiencing some symptoms and was headed to the dr, but I didn't want to look ridiculous and uninformed, so I thought this was a way for me to rule it out, to tell them that I'd already checked and this wasn't the problem. So you can imagine my surprise...


Yep, I took a second one to be sure.

It was about 6 am, and I woke my husband to tell him. He looked at the tests and said, "Hmmm. Look at that." And he went back to bed. No magic in that moment really.

We decided not to tell anyone until we got to tell the family, and since they live away and not in the same place as each other, we tried to figure out how to accomplish telling them all at once. We didn't want anyone to hear before anyone else. So we managed to arrange a get-together at my brother's and sister's house the day before Easter. My family was all there, and my in-laws came with us for the cookout. My brothers-in-law were on the west coast, so they couldn't make it.

We had a nice little dinner and such, then we pulled out a special gift we'd made for each of them. I'd colored Easter eggs for each person there with their "new" name on them...Auntie Rachel, Uncle Ryan, Grandma Carole, etc.


We had them in little individual baskets, so we brought them in, while eyes were closed, then everyone opened and looked at their gift. They all said thanks and thought it was cute, although they weren't so enthused. Grandma C made the statement that it was cruel to give them such a thing from Belle, our dog. We told her it wasn't from Belle. She didn't get it, and no one else did either. Then we waited a few seconds and said it again..."It's not from Belle." Everyone just looked confused and weird. Then we said it in unison once again..."It's not from Belle!" And it sunk in suddenly. All chaos, screaming, clapping and such erupted. M caught a quick pic of the grandmothers in their shock.


Then the phone calls commenced as Grandma C called all relatives and friends to share her good news. My sister Joy announced to us behind happy tears that she'd been praying for this to happen, to which we responded that we wished she'd have shared that with us so we could have been more "careful."

Grandma C proceeded to share the news too. And M shared in his own way, the only issue there being that I didn't know it had been "shared" until the phone calls started pouring in.

All in all, it was a pretty neat event.

Comments

  1. What a wonderful way to tell your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember finding out on M's sight and not knowing if it was real or not. You guys had convinced all of us so well that you were not having any kids that we couldn't believe it was true, not from George Castanza anyways, hehe:-) But when I found out that it was, I was so excited! More excited than ever! And now, I love that little peanut!! Karen K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eggs! What an appropriate idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!! I only ask that we all keep it positive, respectful, and clean. Comment moderation is on for now. (As this is my blog, I reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason.) If you use the anonymous option, be sure to sign your name. Thanks!!

Make it a great day!!

Popular posts from this blog

BabyLegs Giveaway

That's right! A BabyLegs Giveaway!! BUT...this giveway has an extra dose of generosity required for the participants. Can you handle it? BabyLegs has been so great to us, and they have surprised me once again! It all started back when the superb Tricia and Little Miss G sent Braska a pair many moons ago. We'd seen them on a few of our little blog friends, and I thought they were adorable. And the idea of keeping Braska warm while being able to access her g-tube without having to undress her was very appealing. So when we received our surprise pair from our friends out East, we were just plain giddy! I quickly ordered several more pairs to go with her wardrobe. It didn't take anytime at all for BabyLegs to become my standard gift at baby showers, and I especially loved sending them to moms that I found who had fresh little new babies with DS. They're perfect for everyday with a long-sleeved onesie, they are great under a little dress, and they are so helpful with thera...

Peek at tomorrow

This weekend we were at my in-laws' place for a very quick visit. We went largely for a housewarming for Cheryl and Ethon, which was Sunday afternoon. They have a pretty darn cool place, so yay for you guys! Sunday morning pictures are normal, we do them alot. This week, before we left for church, Carole took a few pics of my little poonchin. They didn't all turn out great, as she kept making funny faces and moving at the last second. I stole them off her camera for my collection, and when I looked at this one I just kind of stopped. It's not any super great picture. It's cute, but hey, how could it not be? She's waving at herself, that's the reason the hand is up. But that's not what I saw. Go ahead, click on the picture. Can you see it? I don't see Down syndrome. I don't see a feeding tube. I don't even see a tough cookie, open-heart surgery survivor. It's not my favorite picture of her ever, but I can't hardly stop looking at it. This...