Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sequenom test delayed

I just received this from my friend Missy, and I think it's worth sharing!

Many of you know that Sequenom had been developing a new test that they claimed could diagnose a first-trimester unborn baby with Down syndrome with up to 95% accuracy. It was a blood test, so it surely would be used often by women, and the likelihood that abortion rates for babies with DS would increase was a very real concern. The news came out today that the test release is delayed due to “the discovery by company officials of employee mishandling of R&D test data and results.”

I don't know what that means exactly, but I know that I'm pleased. Prenatal testing is a hot issue, and I'm not trying to debate that at this point. Just sharing the latest info on something that many of us have been watching.

Here's Patricia Bauer's article.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you! Hopefully it will be delayed...FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having worked in R&D (not for anything like this), what it means is that either an employee falsified data (so that 95% accuracy can be a crap statistic) or paperwork was mishandled. In R&D, it's so important for every piece of data to be traceable via paperwork. If Sequenom was ever sued, by a parent or a competitor, and the paperwork was mishandled or missing, they would pretty much lose their suit.

    They are covering their behinds on this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!! I only ask that we all keep it positive, respectful, and clean. Comment moderation is on for now. (As this is my blog, I reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason.) If you use the anonymous option, be sure to sign your name. Thanks!!

Make it a great day!!