Skip to main content

A late (and maybe petty) Christmas miracle

If you know me, like for real, or if you've been around here long, you've gathered that I don't cook much. It's not because I can't, it's because it's generally a waste of time in our house. (Now that I think about it, Friday I made sloppy joes for lunch and lasagna for dinner, and M ate both! That's a very impressive day in our house.) I do felt like I've lost alot of whatever skills I might have had 10 years ago, kind of a "use it or lose it" situation. It just seems when I try things lately, rarely do I have success.

Not sure why, but I've been in the mood for sugar cookies lately. They are not my favorite cookie, but still... they're yummy. I made some last week, but the recipe was apparently too healthy for it's own good, and they were marginal at best. Last night, I wanted them again. (Thankfully, weight gain hasn't been an issue with this pregnancy...update here if you missed it.) So I looked online for a recipe that looked better and decided on one. I'm sure it is good just as it is... but here's the cool part. I made some changes, partially because of ingredient availability and partially because it sounded good and made sense to tweak a little. What? Did I really say that? I made changes to a recipe for something? That just never happens anymore... but the MORE awesome part is that they ROCK!!! I'm so excited that they turned out well, and exactly like I hoped they would.

Here's the finished product. I'm no food photographer, that's for sure. (There is a combo of white sugar and red and green sugar crystals on top. I know...I'm late for Christmas cookies. Who cares, though?? Cookies!) They are soft and chewy cookies, no chilling or rolling out dough. Nice and simple.


Here's the recipe as I actually made them. I'm calling it mine because there are several changes to the one I looked up online. And since it kind of fits, I'm calling them RK's Sweet Cravings Sugar Cookies. Surely someone's up for a trial run at some sugar cookies, right?? Try it out and let me know how it goes for you!!

RK's Sweet Cravings Sugar Cookies
2/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup butter, room temp/softened
1/3 cup margerine
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup granulated sugar for topping (can use colored crystals if desired)

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, margerine, shortening, brown sugar and white sugar. Mix in the eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt, stir into the creamed mixture until dough comes together. Roll dough into medium-sized balls and pat slightly to form cookie. Dip one side of cookie in topping sugar and/or crystals. Place them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart with the bare side down.
3. Bake cookies 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until bottom is barely golden. Cookies may not look completely done on top. Allow to stay on cookie sheet for about 6 minutes. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.

Comments

  1. we both had the baking urge today!!! now IIIIIIIII want sugarr cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a fan of the rolled sugar cookies because I don't like the icing on top. However, my grandma used to make the BEST drop sugar cookies and everytime we visited we would each get one. They were big. I miss those cookies and yours look super yummy. I'm thinking a cookie making weekend is needed and soon! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    P.S. I already have my post scheduled for tomorrow so if you see a slight similarity, it's just a coincidence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I love sugar cookies and am always up for a new recipe. I never measure anything, and I ALWAYS change the recipe. I watch enough Rachel Ray I feel like I can do that:) Sometimes it works out, sometimes...not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cookies look yummy, but I DO have to watch those calories in this household :o) Maybe one of the girls will want to make them when they get in a cookie mood. I'll save the recipe.
    Parchment paper??????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookies look great. Thanks for posting the recipe. By the way how are you doing the cute artwork on these pages. I need to know. They look great. Hope to talk to ya soon. Mel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!! I only ask that we all keep it positive, respectful, and clean. Comment moderation is on for now. (As this is my blog, I reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason.) If you use the anonymous option, be sure to sign your name. Thanks!!

Make it a great day!!

Popular posts from this blog

Oh happy day, Less question mark!

As a follow up to yesterday's post, I got word today that we will NOT be assigned to the new guy, but we will have an experienced coordinator after all. I feel SO much better. I also learned some other info today that made me think I still have some kinks to work out, so I'll be taking care of that this next week. I'll be SO glad when this transition/IEP stuff is behind us. I want to do the very best I can, but there's part of me who wants to just hide and let it all happen without me.

31 for 21: What to say

I have encountered plenty of people who ask "How old is she?" when Braska and I are out together here and there. They always guess her age about 5 months younger than she is, but that's ok, since that's what size she is. I have said several times that I can imagine it will bother me a bit more, although still not a huge deal, when she turns one next month and I see their reaction to that, as she still is in her car seat/carrier when we're in a restaurant or in a store since she doesn't sit up. Today, I met some friends for brunch. The waitress was a nice enough, very young girl, and she started cooing at Braska right away. That's nice. I don't mind, Braska likes the attention, and I'm proud of my cutie. The waitress asked her age, and I told her 11 months. She then said, "But she's not walking yet?" as she noticed that she was up to the table in her car seat/carrier. I just agreed and said, "Not yet." She said she h

Was there a line??

I assume that you went to vote, either today or earlier if possible. I expect that of you, know that straight up. How long did you wait in line?? And throw in the state you voted in, just for fun. I'm really curious if all areas have a big wait or if it's just the more congested ones. I voted Friday absentee/in person, and we waited about 15 mins or so. It moved VERY fast for a big line. There's just one place in our very populated county to do the absentee/in person voting, and it wasn't bad at all for what I thought it might be. If you haven't, GO VOTE people... again, please just know what you're voting for, either way. You may just have to live with your choice. God Bless America!!