Skip to main content

Within reach

The overstuffed recliner is between their little beds.  When I sit there, I can reach each of them as they lay in their beds, holding one of each of their little hands as we say their prayers each night.  The room is only 9 feet wide.

Tonight we prayed for their sweet dreams, restful sleep, thanking God for a good day, all four of us healthy.  We thanked God for our friends and that our sweet friend Jamee had a good day after a few tough ones.  We prayed for my friend Jennifer far away.  We asked for extra doses of comfort and peace of heart for our dear, precious friends who will walk painfully through the next 9 days, though all their days are harder without their prettiest little one.  We asked for lots of extra angels to be sent to those little ones who are mistreated or alone in places without mommies and daddies to love them.  We never forget these precious ones.  We prayed for the “tummy babies” whose mommies are scared of what the doctors have told them and for those mommies to be held and loved and supported and given wise counsel. 

We don’t always use those kinds of words.  We say it as the girls understand and join in.  They remember people we’ve talked about during the day, or friends that we’ve been praying for lately.  They remind me even mid-prayer of people to remember and mention. 

Tonight, Braska, who had gone without a nap today and was very very tired, fell asleep holding my hand during the prayers. Kinlee was on the other side holding my right hand, moving my thumb along the back of her hand when I would pause from the gentle motion that she likes so much. 

I sat there for a while longer than I normally do, listening to Kinlee talk to herself, sing a few little songs, and watching Braska sleep.  My girls are within reach.  I do not take for granted that they are right here with me, well cared for, comfortable in their home and in their parents’ love.  It is nothing to take lightly.    Every moment is a blessing.

And I thought to myself, how thankful I am, that for those tonight who desperately wish their precious ones, either young or old, were within reach, there is a God who is ALWAYS within reach. He is closer than the air around us. Available at your quietest whisper or loudest cry.  Just reach out and hold His hand.

Comments

  1. You encourage me greatly with your thoughtful, inspirational ramblings. As tears well up, all I can say is, "Amen!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!! I only ask that we all keep it positive, respectful, and clean. Comment moderation is on for now. (As this is my blog, I reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason.) If you use the anonymous option, be sure to sign your name. Thanks!!

Make it a great day!!

Popular posts from this blog

BabyLegs Giveaway

That's right! A BabyLegs Giveaway!! BUT...this giveway has an extra dose of generosity required for the participants. Can you handle it? BabyLegs has been so great to us, and they have surprised me once again! It all started back when the superb Tricia and Little Miss G sent Braska a pair many moons ago. We'd seen them on a few of our little blog friends, and I thought they were adorable. And the idea of keeping Braska warm while being able to access her g-tube without having to undress her was very appealing. So when we received our surprise pair from our friends out East, we were just plain giddy! I quickly ordered several more pairs to go with her wardrobe. It didn't take anytime at all for BabyLegs to become my standard gift at baby showers, and I especially loved sending them to moms that I found who had fresh little new babies with DS. They're perfect for everyday with a long-sleeved onesie, they are great under a little dress, and they are so helpful with thera...

Peek at tomorrow

This weekend we were at my in-laws' place for a very quick visit. We went largely for a housewarming for Cheryl and Ethon, which was Sunday afternoon. They have a pretty darn cool place, so yay for you guys! Sunday morning pictures are normal, we do them alot. This week, before we left for church, Carole took a few pics of my little poonchin. They didn't all turn out great, as she kept making funny faces and moving at the last second. I stole them off her camera for my collection, and when I looked at this one I just kind of stopped. It's not any super great picture. It's cute, but hey, how could it not be? She's waving at herself, that's the reason the hand is up. But that's not what I saw. Go ahead, click on the picture. Can you see it? I don't see Down syndrome. I don't see a feeding tube. I don't even see a tough cookie, open-heart surgery survivor. It's not my favorite picture of her ever, but I can't hardly stop looking at it. This...