Skip to main content

Snot: Parenthood vs. pre-parenthood

Ooey, gooey, globby, and nonstop. That's the snot that's been present at our house for over a week now, first coming from Braska, then KiKi. I do not like snot. But I surprised myself the other day with how nonchalant I can be when handling the ickiness nowadays.

Before becoming a parent, had I been put in this position, with two little girls leaving remnants of their goo on furniture and clothes and each other--well, I'd have politely, but quickly, abandoned ship.

--News flash!!! It's snowing outside!!! I just glanced at the window!! (Well just a few flurries, but still!) Woo Hoo!!!--

Ahem, anyway, it's funny now how I can catch it, wipe it, clean it, and repeat about 300 times a day. And when leaving the house, it's not so much, "Darn! I have snot on my shirt!" as it is "Gosh, is that too much snot on my shirt to be acceptable for this outing?"

Can anyone relate?

And it's like a celebration when a big sneeze produces alot of stuff, because that means we're getting it out of there. And when doing the saline drops 'n suction routine that happens a few times a day, well, it's like I'm on a mission and success is non-negotiable. I can tell from the sound the bulb is making if it's extracting copious amounts. And it makes me glad.

Ah, how far I've come.

Comments

  1. So true and funny! I think every mom would agree with you on this one!

    Is that too much snot on my shirt to be acceptable for this outing...STILL laughing hahaha!

    Enjoy the snow...this side of the state is just cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking this same thing in regards to poop. I think I've pretty much seen it all by now and cleaned it all and it doesn't gross me out near as much as it used to. Yep - those are field badges indeed for the mom - body fluids (or substances) have nothing on us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This snotty post is FANTASTICALLY WRITTEN! We're talking "Guidepost" quality! Well, maybe THEY wouldn't print it, but READERS DIGEST or somebody should! Well Done! I remember a great article about how all humans remain quite selfish UNTIL they have children. (Of course, some people stay selfish no matter what.) Parenting is not a "total" cure, but how it changes us for the better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LC's got the gunk, too. Luckily, she is an actual fan (freak!) of the adult-strength saline spray. But I literally come running when I hear a promising sneeze...hope, hoping for trails of jackpot running down her face.

    I'm not sure Justin shares my enthusiasm though. Poor, poor Prince Gagsalot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wysdom started to hold the saline spray bottle. He knows it's coming. The suction bulb is not his friend though. Yah your right about the nose the suction makes..let's you know if it just a little mucous up there or tons. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember discovering that brand really does matter with those snot bulbs! The one we got at the hospital was so much better than any we got at the store. :-) Did a lot more slurping gunk instead of just sucking air.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me it was baby spit-up. I could hear the little sound he would make before it came out and catch it in my hand, wipe it away with a wipe, and continue on my way as though nothing had happened. Used to gross out friends and family members who weren't used to it. And my "going out in public" question was - how much urp is acceptable on your shoulder?

    I'm quite proud of you actually. I remember how you disliked Jack's drooling problem. You've come a long way baby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's called gaining mommy maturity :o) Way to go, gal!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can so relate!!!
    T has come far with this. Although he still refuses to blow his nose into a tissue. He will blow it so it's running down his face BUT the good news is.. He now will walk to the bathroom and stand by the door until I come to get tissue and wipe it off. This is far better than the days he used to do the backhand wipe up into his hair :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!! I only ask that we all keep it positive, respectful, and clean. Comment moderation is on for now. (As this is my blog, I reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason.) If you use the anonymous option, be sure to sign your name. Thanks!!

Make it a great day!!

Popular posts from this blog

BabyLegs Giveaway

That's right! A BabyLegs Giveaway!! BUT...this giveway has an extra dose of generosity required for the participants. Can you handle it? BabyLegs has been so great to us, and they have surprised me once again! It all started back when the superb Tricia and Little Miss G sent Braska a pair many moons ago. We'd seen them on a few of our little blog friends, and I thought they were adorable. And the idea of keeping Braska warm while being able to access her g-tube without having to undress her was very appealing. So when we received our surprise pair from our friends out East, we were just plain giddy! I quickly ordered several more pairs to go with her wardrobe. It didn't take anytime at all for BabyLegs to become my standard gift at baby showers, and I especially loved sending them to moms that I found who had fresh little new babies with DS. They're perfect for everyday with a long-sleeved onesie, they are great under a little dress, and they are so helpful with thera...

Peek at tomorrow

This weekend we were at my in-laws' place for a very quick visit. We went largely for a housewarming for Cheryl and Ethon, which was Sunday afternoon. They have a pretty darn cool place, so yay for you guys! Sunday morning pictures are normal, we do them alot. This week, before we left for church, Carole took a few pics of my little poonchin. They didn't all turn out great, as she kept making funny faces and moving at the last second. I stole them off her camera for my collection, and when I looked at this one I just kind of stopped. It's not any super great picture. It's cute, but hey, how could it not be? She's waving at herself, that's the reason the hand is up. But that's not what I saw. Go ahead, click on the picture. Can you see it? I don't see Down syndrome. I don't see a feeding tube. I don't even see a tough cookie, open-heart surgery survivor. It's not my favorite picture of her ever, but I can't hardly stop looking at it. This...