Skip to main content

Morning of Yes with a dash of No thanks

This morning we dropped Braska at school and I had planned on going home to attack what has become a disturbingly messy house. (Like for real bothering me, dirty, beyond just regular kind of messy. I don't like it one bit.)

But Kinlee wanted to "go somewhere" as she often does. It was so gorgeous out, and sunny, 60, seemed wrong to be inside. So I said, "Yes, we can go play." We headed nearby to a favorite park with a great playground. Though she was bummed it was empty, and I was plain shocked that there was no one there, she had a great time running around, climbing, and swinging.

She saw the bridge nearby that leads around to another part of the park, with ponds and gazebos and trails of flowers. So I said, "Yes, we can go on the bridge." And we walked for a while, she ran ahead, and we looked at geese and flowers and enjoyed the breeze.

Kinlee wanted to go over by the waterfall, so we did. And she asked if she could climb down and "touch the pond" which would normally be a No from me. But I said, "Sure, just hold my hand so you don't fall."

As we walked back around to the playground, she said, "I miss Braska." It was kind of sweet. Her big sis really is her BFF.

She played a while more, but was SO excited to see a couple of little girls coming over to play. She ran around with the older one, while grandpa pushed the other in a swing.  They ran and played like crazy. KiKi is not a loner at all. She loves having buddies.

I was so impressed at how many times I heard "oh, excuse me" or "are you ok?" when her buddy tripped.  She made me so proud when she refrained from going up the slide the wrong way when her friend did, running around to the appropriate entry.  Twice.

Some other little ones arrived, much younger, and I warned KiKi to be careful.  Her friend had some less than thoughtful interactions, but Kinlee stayed right on what she knew was expected of her. She behaved so very well.  I was really glad to see it in the midst of crazy playground fun time.

So when I finally said it was time to go, and she obeyed nicely by saying goodbye to her playmate and walking to the car, I said,"Sure!" when she asked if she could have a snack.  I praised her for her behavior, pointing out when she made right choices even when her friend did not. She was so pleased to know she did well.
kikiface-wm

And the biggest Yes of the day, even without being asked (because this never happens so she wouldn't think of it) was to take her to DQ and let her pick a mini blizzard for a special treat.  She chose what she wanted, which happens to be my fave mint oreo, and we sat outside and she enjoyed it.  For about 6 bites. As is her norm with sweets since she is rarely allowed them. And when she then asked if she could be done, I said "Yes, if you are full of ice cream." She said I could have the rest.  Enter the "no thanks" moment of the day.  Much as I would love it. Much as it killed me to drop an almost full mini blizzard in the trash, I succeeded in refraining completely.

Then we got in the car and headed home. Out of time for much cleaning, unable to accomplish many tasks before pickup, but with a satisfied little girl. At least for a few minutes.

I need to learn balance my no tendencies with my yes moments. Today was a good blend. Proper behavior was not lost for the sake of silly fun. Ice cream was enjoyed in moderation by choice. Win-win.

**Sent from the land of Android via Verizon and my Incredible.

Comments

  1. What a gorgeous day. And even more gorgeous girl - look at those baby blues!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!! I only ask that we all keep it positive, respectful, and clean. Comment moderation is on for now. (As this is my blog, I reserve the right to delete any comment I deem inappropriate for any reason.) If you use the anonymous option, be sure to sign your name. Thanks!!

Make it a great day!!

Popular posts from this blog

Oh happy day, Less question mark!

As a follow up to yesterday's post, I got word today that we will NOT be assigned to the new guy, but we will have an experienced coordinator after all. I feel SO much better. I also learned some other info today that made me think I still have some kinks to work out, so I'll be taking care of that this next week. I'll be SO glad when this transition/IEP stuff is behind us. I want to do the very best I can, but there's part of me who wants to just hide and let it all happen without me.

31 for 21: What to say

I have encountered plenty of people who ask "How old is she?" when Braska and I are out together here and there. They always guess her age about 5 months younger than she is, but that's ok, since that's what size she is. I have said several times that I can imagine it will bother me a bit more, although still not a huge deal, when she turns one next month and I see their reaction to that, as she still is in her car seat/carrier when we're in a restaurant or in a store since she doesn't sit up. Today, I met some friends for brunch. The waitress was a nice enough, very young girl, and she started cooing at Braska right away. That's nice. I don't mind, Braska likes the attention, and I'm proud of my cutie. The waitress asked her age, and I told her 11 months. She then said, "But she's not walking yet?" as she noticed that she was up to the table in her car seat/carrier. I just agreed and said, "Not yet." She said she h

Was there a line??

I assume that you went to vote, either today or earlier if possible. I expect that of you, know that straight up. How long did you wait in line?? And throw in the state you voted in, just for fun. I'm really curious if all areas have a big wait or if it's just the more congested ones. I voted Friday absentee/in person, and we waited about 15 mins or so. It moved VERY fast for a big line. There's just one place in our very populated county to do the absentee/in person voting, and it wasn't bad at all for what I thought it might be. If you haven't, GO VOTE people... again, please just know what you're voting for, either way. You may just have to live with your choice. God Bless America!!